1.18.2009

Bunk Sandwiches


Bunk Sandwiches opened a couple of months ago in the old Nu Cafe spot on East Morrison, and with a complete remodel, they opened up in a neighborhood in need of a good restaurant.  In my "best of 2008", I named Bunk Sandwiches as the Best New Restaurant and although there were some notable restaurant openings in 2008, I think this is a important one.  Anything that reminds me of the East Coast is welcomed in my book and the breakfast sandwiches on hard rolls are a reminder of the few things that I miss about "home."  With ingredients like Bone Marrow, Pork Belly, Mortadella, Tripe, Salt Cod, Pork Confit and Oxtail on the menu, you can see that this isn't your normal Sandwich Shop!


It must the the Chef in me, but I am convinced that Line Cooks and Chefs eat more sandwiches than anything else and thats why I get excited about great sandwiches.  For all of the years that I spent in kitchens, I can only remember a few times eating a normal meal, one of which was due to a server giving us the wrong numbers for a banquet and having about a dozen steaks dying in the window!  That's the only time at that restaurant that I remember eating with entire kitchen, it's funny, we were all happy to be sitting down and eating dinner, the shitty part was that we were sitting in the alley by the dumpsters on milk crates in the rain, no lie, in the rain, eating Filets with Demi, Potatoes Lyonnaise and Broccolini, good times!


So if you are looking for a great sandwich cooked and served by a bunch on nice folks, Bunk Sandwiches should be on the top of your list!

Bunk Sandwiches
621 SE Morrison St.
Portland, OR 97214
503.477.9515