9.25.2008

Pimento Cheese


Pimento Cheese is a southern classic that I grew up with and although it was always around as a kid, I just recently learned to appreciate it.  If you aren't familiar with the Pimento, it looks like a small Red Pepper but more heart shaped, when you buy them in a jar at the Grocery Store they kind of resembles a Roasted Red Pepper in taste. The only place in Portland that I have had Pimento Cheese is at Pinestate Biscuits and it is pretty damn tasty.  You might be able to find it at Bernie's or The Screen Door or at least get them to whip some up for you, and it is worth a try.  My Dad always made his with Cheddar, Pimentos and Mayo, that's it!  So I used that as a base for mine, but I ended up adding some Roasted Red Peppers, a bit of dry mustard, some Roasted Garlic, Cream Cheese, and some Chipotles.  The Chipotles really made it good, I mean really good, my Dad would be proud that I finally embraced the Pimento Cheese that I avoided as a kid.  So, if you haven't tried it, reach way back in to your cabinet and grab that jar of Pimentos that you don't know why you have it or where it came from and whip up some tasty Pimento Cheese, it's easy, Grated Cheddar, Pimentos, Mayo and whtever else you are in the mood for, make a sandwich, spread it on some Crackers or my favorite, top a Burger with it.