2.06.2008

My Carnitas


A Carnitas Taco is a simple and beautiful thing, Pork, Queso Fresco, Cilantro, Lime and Tortillas, thats it.  The way I do my Carnitas is easy, braise a Pork Shoulder in Beer, Cilantro Stems, Garlic and a couple of Peppers for about 4 hours or until the Pork is fork tender.  I then Caramelize a Yellow Onion and Saute a Pasilla Pepper, add the Pork to the pan and then season with Salt, Pepper and Cumin to taste.  I assume this isn't the way Carnitas is made, but it works for me!


As if the bitchin Carnitas Tacos weren't enough, the morning after I cooked the Pork, I made a Breakfast out of the leftover Pork and it was (from bottom to top) Corn Tortillas, Refried Beans, Carnitas, Soft Scrambled Eggs, Queso Fresco, Cholula and Cilantro.  Oh my, I have found a new way to get Pork in front of me for breakfast.