1.27.2008

Castagna


So Castagna is on the Corner of SE Hawthorne and Poplar and I didn't realize until I stopped in for lunch last week, but Castagna isn't open for lunch, only the Cafe side is open during lunch.  Well, luckily for me, the Burger that I had heard so much about was on the menu at the Cafe, so without really looking at the menu, I ordered a Cheeseburger with Blue Cheese and Fries.  The fries that someone told me about were better than I expected, they were hand cut and damn good, and the burger, it was quality meat cooked to temp on a tasty bun, one of the better burgers that I have had at a restaurant in Portland.  So a couple of things that looked good on the Cafe menu are: Frisee, Lardons, Egg and Toast, and a Leek, Thyme, Pancetta and Sheep's Milk Cheese Pizza.


Next time I hit Castagna for a meal it will most certainly be for dinner, the menu looks killer!   The New York Steak with Marrow, Parsley and Shallots with Watercress and Shoestring Potatoes and the Quail with Porcini-Parsley Salad and Roasted Potatoes sound awesome.  The dessert menu looks damn tasty too, the item that stuck out on the menu that I was looking at is the Chocolate Chestnut Pave'.  So just remember, if you want to eat at Castagna, they are only open Wednesday through Saturday from 5:30, but Cafe Castagna is open 7 nights for dinner and Tuesday through Saturday for Lunch.

Castagna
1752 SE Hawthorne
Portland, OR 97214
503.231.7373

Cafe Castagna
1758 SE Hawthorne
Portland, OR 97214
503.231.9959

www.castagnarestaurant.com